Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Poe, a Poet

Poe, a poet, placed a raven in a poem with skill engraven
But the poem was much too morbid for a cheerful one like me.
Death of beauty, says the poet, is the best, and you should know it;
I like life of beauty, so it's not so certain I agree.
Life of beauty is the best, and so I have to disagree
          Death's not all it's cracked up to be.


Poe's rhymes are the best around; in fact, they're always marv'lous
          soundin',
But this makes it difficult to write a perfect parody.
Fortunately, I'm not writing parodies, I am just chiding
E. A. Poe on his abiding melancholy melody.
'Tis a very much abiding melancholy melody,
          Singing so unhappily.

Poe may like his subject matter. I, for one, would be much gladder
Reading something pleasanter than Poe's poems will ever be.
However, I must admit, his poems are better far than this is,
But I'm not a poet; there is quite a lot 'tween him and me.
Since I'm not a poet, he is better than I'll ever be
          But I see life more happily.

(It's not perfectly in the meter of the Raven, but I did the best I could.)

1 comment:

The Devoted said...

Hahaha, oh dear. This is quite amazing Nathan. As I read it all that kept coming to mind was a mental image of you rapping this. Haha, I have no idea why. :) Bravo!
-Brian